Tuesday, July 04, 2006

With a camel under Gd Chavalard


Eva, Olga and Sarka came to visit me. One day, I went to what I promised to be an easy hike with them.
However, things were not so easy. After failing to find the road taking us to the highest possible point, we left the car in the middle of some vineyards over Fully before finally discovering the actual road to the top on foot. We crossed the stream that traverses the middle of Grand Chavalard on the south side around an hour later. The snow there is still not melted.


Some time later we had arrived at Chiboz. The steep hike up to the ridge under Gd Chavalard's peak would have taken at least one hour - going back down the same way was ruled out by the girls. So we had to go back another way. There was only one alternative path, which I had never tried before and which was a bit longer, so I was afraid that we might be late. In the end we took this one, and my fears of being late turned out to had been well justified.


What is it with girls and foraging for berries? It's not as if we were hungry. Fortunately, even if this behaviour corresponded to some primeval hunter-gatherer instinct, it was sated in ten minutes or so and we continued on the unknown trail.
After some time wandering we reached a cliffside and continued along it and through a small village.















The trail so far had not been particularly hard, but we encountered a sign saying 'difficult trail ahead'. I was not particularly worried at the moment, but we ended up here.


Unfortunately Sarka sufferred from acrophobia and she had to hold on to the chain pretty tightly.. as for me, I seem to have rid of any lingering acrophobia completely and felt perfectly comfortable here, so I think it is time for me to tackle Gd Chavalard!

Anyway, that night - or some other night - we went down to the amphitheater, made friends with a camel and had a bottle of wine.

No comments: